Success for TU Dublin at Colleges FAI Finals

TU Dublin was well represented at the Colleges FAI Finals on 1 March at Athlone Town Stadium.

The top TU Dublin team who can select players from any of the three university campuses won the FAI Plate on penalties after a thrilling 3-3 game against the TU Dublin City Campus ‘A’ side.

Later on, the TU Dublin City Campus ‘B’ team won the FAI Bob Eustace Cup defeating SETU Waterford ‘C’ 2-1 after a late winner from Tareq Altorok.

FAI Plate Final

TU Dublin: 3

TU Dublin City Campus ‘A’: 3

TU Dublin won 7-6 on penalties.

FAI Plate winners: TU Dublin. Credit: Eamon Scott

In a very entertaining game, individual performances from Gbemi Arubi and Fayo Adeogun stood out with two goals each.

Both teams set the standard high during the first 30 minutes of the game, with chances at both ends.

The best chance fell to the City Campus side from the penalty spot, however, Darragh O’Connor narrowly missed hitting the post.

Credit: Luke Hurson

TU Dublin broke the deadlock five minutes from half time when Gbemi Arubi followed up a shot with a collected finish.

Gbemi Arubi. Credit: Eamon Scott

Only two minutes later Arubi scored again when he got on the end of an excellent cross striking the ball into the bottom right corner.

TU Dublin City Campus pulled a goal back on the stroke of half time with a great strike from Fayo Adeogun that had too much power for the keeper to stop.

The second half started off slowly for both teams but kicked into life when Fayo Adeogun got his second to level the score. His mazy run through the defence was followed by a great finish into the bottom corner.

Fayo Adeogun. Credit: Eamon Scott.

Gbemi Arubi nearly won it for TU Dublin but his shot was straight at the City Campus goalkeeper Sean Umah, who pulled off a number of brilliant saves before full time to keep the city campus side in it.

TU Dublin took the lead once again in extra time when Conor Levingston tapped in the rebound after the keeper tipped the previous shot onto the crossbar.

The City Campus team wouldn’t go away and equalised yet again with an excellent free kick from Darragh O’Connor after he was dragged down by Cole Omorehiomuwan which resulted in a red card for the defender.

Darragh O’Connor after equalising. Credit Eamon Scott

The drama continued in the penalty shootout where TU Dublin won 7-6 and had their keeper Euan Niven to thank after he saved three penalties.

FAI Bob Eustace Final

TU Dublin City Campus ‘B’: 2

SETU Waterford ‘C’: 1

FAI Bob Eustace winners: TU Dublin City Campus ‘B’. Credit: Eamon Scott

TU Dublin City Campus ‘B’ was well in control of the possession in the first half but failed to open the scoring after missing a few half chances and it remained scoreless at half time.

The Waterford side had a good chance early on in the second half Sam Duggan’s flick on header was well saved by Dominic Carr.

City Campus began to improve their play and broke the deadlock after Samuel Kennedy made a great run, received a through ball and finished brilliantly.

Shortly after, Waterford equalised when Cameron Gordon pounced on a rebound and curled the ball into the bottom corner.

Gordon netting the equaliser. Credit: Eamon Scott

The rest of the game was quite cagey and seemed like extra time was almost guaranteed until City Campus grabbed a late winner courtesy of Tareq Altorok who just off the bench, after he made a run along the edge of the box to score with his first touch of the game.

Altorok scoring the winner. Credit Eamon Scott.

After the game, The Liberty spoke to the City Campus ‘B’ manager Daniel McGivney who was delighted with the result.

“It’s fantastic to win, I’m delighted for the lads – they played really well and are a great bunch – the facilities here in Athlone are lovely and it’s a fantastic day out.”


College football fixtures.

The trophy presentation. Credit: Luke Hurson

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *