Dublin Stroll into their Sixth Successive All-Ireland Final

Dublin have reached the All-Ireland SFC Final for the sixth consecutive year after comfortably beating Cavan on a scoreline of 1-24 to 0-12. 

The semi-final ended in a predictable fashion with Dessie Farrell’s charges producing their fourth successive double-digit victory of the 2020 championship despite the Breffni men’s promising start to the match. 

Mickey Graham’s men had caught the eye of many a GAA fan after their spectacular Ulster championship win, coming from behind to win after trailing at half-time in all four of their provincial games, even overturning a ten point deficit against Down. 

Cavan soon discovered that Dublin pose a completely different challenge to any other football team in the country, as have many before them. The Dubs have now won an incredible 38 of their last 41 championship matches, drawing the other three.  

Cavan’s bright start saw them take an early lead with Martin Reilly, Thomas Galligan and James Smith all scoring in fine fashion. However, Dublin never looked back after tying the scores at 0-3 apiece. 

Dean Rock’s frees underlined the men from the capital’s dominance before Paddy Small, Con O’Callaghan and Ciaran Kilkenny extended the half time lead to 0-12 to 0-07. 

The Ulster champions glimpsed a rare goal chance as Jonny Cooper found himself on the wrong side of Martin Reilly, as the pair tussled for a ball into the full-forward line. Cooper escaped a possible black card offence punishment, after hauling down the Cavan man, much to the dismay of the Cavan management. 

Any chance Cavan had at the break was soon crushed by an imperious Dublin team, who exploded out of the blocks, immediately after the second half began. They piled on several scores whilst Ciaran Kilkenny and O’Callaghan saw good goal chances blocked. 

Cavan staged a brief comeback at 0-21 to 0-09 with three unanswered scores before the effervescent Robbie McDaid palmed into the Cavan net, after a smart pass from Rock, ending any potential life left in the Cavan team. 

Points from the brilliant Brian Fenton as well as Rock and Cormac Costello, ensured that the Dubs would finish with a double-digit cushion over their opponents. 

Cavan finished the match with 14 men after Thomas Galligan was shown a second yellow card for dissent in injury-time, but it was little more than an added blow for a dejected Cavan at that point. 

Dublin will now face Mayo in the All-Ireland final on the 19th of December at 5pm.