Kevin’s run riot in C final

A determined St. Kevin’s team reigned supreme over Naomh Mearnóg by a score line of 2-09 to 0-07 in the Under 21 C Hurling final in O’Toole Park on 18th February.

St. Kevin’s got off to a magnificent start as they gained an early lead, knocking over four points in the first 20 minutes. Naomh Mearnóg looked sluggish from the start and struggled to get going.

However, halfway through the first period the Portmarnock team pulled together and began to close the gap on St. Kevin’s.

Players from both sides battle for possesion

A fine display of marksmanship from Éanna Slattery punctuated a fine comeback for the North Dubliners, and Kevin’s went into the break with a slim 0-06 to 0-05 lead.

The second half was a joy for spectators to watch. Mearnógs continued playing like they did at the end of the first half, with Kevin’s upping their tempo after the restart.

Mearnógs quickly equalised, and soon after took the lead for the first time in the game.

Kevin’s Graham Harrington then took charge and regained the lead for his team with a magnificent strike which flew clean over the bar, making the score 0-08 to 0-07 in the Dolphin’s Barn outfit’s favour.

The real turning point, however, came after a massive goal line scramble in the Naomh Mearnóg six yard box, with Kevin’s Shane Watson eventually smashing the sliotar over the line. The Kevin’s supporters erupted on the sideline as Watson was smothered in celebration by team mates on the pitch.

Kevin’s then showed their skill in the forward and midfield areas by keeping possession and forcing Mearnógs deeper and deeper into their own half. The final ten minutes of the game proved fatal for Mearnógs as Kevin’s continually bombarded the opposition goal.

Kevin’s’ forward Shane Watson grabbed his second goal of the game with a great strike across the goal and into the bottom corner of the net, beyond the reach of keeper Ciarán D’Arcy.

The Mearnógs keeper did well to deny Watson his hat-trick as Kevin’s looked to further strengthen their lead. The final whistle signalled a deserved victory for St. Kevin’s in a fantastic clash.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *