DIT Fall to Last-gasp Wonder Strike (DIT 1-2 UCD)

On a cold night in Drumcondra both sides produced quality football that

was deserving of any cup final. What made the standard of play even
more impressive was the state of the Tolka pitch that was showing the
effects of the harsh rainy conditions last month.

The match was played at a frantic pace from the outset and produced
some great football throughout. It was an even contest throughout and
was decided only by a truly top-drawer strike from UCD’s Robbie Creevey
two minutes into injury time, a strike that was worthy of winning any

Both teams were patient in possession throughout the game and seemed to
defy to poor conditions under foot. Those poor conditions were the
source for the first moment of concern for either team. After ten
minutes, DIT’s keeper Craig Hyland slipped as he was coming out to deal
with a through ball and there were suspicions that he may have handled
outside his area. However, Hyland regained his composure after the slip
and was able to collect  the ball and avoid any further danger.

The pace of the match then picked up after the quarter hour mark after
an excellent free-kick from UCD’s David McMillan glanced the outside of
the post from 25 yards out. A frenetic couple of minutes ensued with
DIT going straight down the other end and after a goal-mouth scramble
in the UCD area, the ball cracked the underside of the crossbar and was
cleared to safety.

The breakthrough came 20 minutes in after a fine free-flowing move from
inside UCD’s half. UCD caught their counterparts with a quick counter,
culminating in a fine defence-splitting pass from the impressive Sean
Houston which found Peter McMahon who showed great skill to round the
last defender and coolly slotted the ball past the advancing Hyland to
give his side the lead.

UCD were pushing forward, looking to add to their lead with the
dangerous trio McMahon, McMillan and Houston at the forefront of all UCD’s
attacks. The three were all involved in a flowing move that resulted in
midfielder Creevey testing the handling of Hyland once more from 20
yards out.

It wasn’t all one-way traffic though, with DIT’s captain Conor McMahon
bringing the best out of Ger Barron in the UCD goal. DIT were growing
more and more into the game and on the half hour mark drew level after
a poor defensive clearance fell to Craig McDonnell who drove the ball
into the roof of Barron’s net from the edge of the box.

McDonnell’s goal meant the sides went into the break level which was a
fair reflection on an entertaining opening 45 minutes.

The second half began much the same as the first with UCD pressing hard
for a second goal. Hyland was called upon again to make several
excellent saves to keep UCD at bay. Hyland was being helped out
brilliantly by his back four with skipper McMahon making a fantastic
last-ditch tackle to save this team.

While the second half wasn’t as frantic as the first, it was still
end-to-end with DIT testing Barron regularly with dangerous
counter-attacks. Hyland, however, remained the busier of the two
keepers and seemed to ensure extra time when he made a brilliant save
at the feet of Houston in the last few minutes.

It seemed that DIT would settle for extra time and looked like forcing
the game into the extra period only for Creevey to settle the match
with his last-gasp wonder strike.


DIT: 1 Craig Hyland; 2 Dean Zambia, 4 Conor McMahon (capt), 5 Niall
Flynn, 3 Michael O’Connor (12 Conor Costello 90 (+3)); 7 Richard
O’Farrell, 10 Eoin Kavanagh (15 Toheeb Adigun (90+3)), 8 Sean
Fitzgerald, 6 Craig McDonnell, 11 Stephen Roche (13 Soon (90+6)); 9
David O’Sullivan.

UCD: 1 Ger Barron; 2 Gareth Matthews, 5 Michael Leahy, 4 Michael Kelly
(15 James Timmons 83), 3 David O’Connor; 8 Robbie Creevy, 6 Paul Corry,
7 Peter McMahon; 10 David McMillan, 9 Gavin Falconer (16 Stephen Doyle
h/t (17 Samir Bulhout 74), 11 Sean Houston.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *