Liberties FC win top of the table tussle

Liberties FC in action against Drumfinn Celtic. Photo: Ben Finnegan

Liberties FC in action against Drumfinn Celtic.
Photo: Ben Finnegan


Liberties FC dispatched title rivals Drumfinn Celtic 2-0 on Saturday 29 March at Phoenix Park to go five points clear with two games in hand.

It was a very poor and frustrating first half for the boys from the Liberties, where they never challenged the Drumfinn keeper at all, and just tried to battle for possession in their own half.

There were never any clear-cut chances in the first half, and if any team were to break the deadlock it looked as if it would be the Ballyfermot side.

The 4-5-1 formation that Liberties FC had set up at the start of the game proved useful in countering Drumfinn Celtic’s passing and to counter the blustery wind in the very open grounds at the Phoenix Park.

The frustration was clearly getting to Liberties FC, and their tackling was becoming more and more reckless as the half continued with Barry Dwyer and Chris Devereux both receiving yellow cards.

The second half began and Liberties FC manager Keith Boylan’s team talk had worked; they were a different team.

On 60 minutes, after a barrage of chances a goalmouth scramble ended in Liberties FC taking the lead through Barry Dwyer, even though he didn’t seem to know much about it.

Not long after, Chris Devereux broke through on goal from a through ball by Rob Best, which tore the defence apart and managed to curl the ball around the oncoming Drumfinn Celtic keeper.

However, it was only the beginning of the drama. Drumfinn Celtic came back fighting after going two goals down, and it ended up in goal scorer Barry Dwyer being sent off. Keith Boylan said after the game: “I just asked the referee what the second yellow card was for, and he thinks it was the wrong player. He saw a tackle come in late and assumed it was Barry.”

Even being a man down for 11 minutes did not deny the Liberties men their tenth win of the season, and Boylan said after the game that “it was our worst first half of the season…at halftime we were delighted to keep them nil-all.”

Liberties FC walking off at half time Photo: Ben Finnegan

Liberties FC walking off at half time
Photo: Ben Finnegan


Related posts:

The Cats become champions again beating Galway 3-22 to 3-11 in the All Ireland senior hurling final
Airtricity league ends with bitter taste for Pats and Rovers
SSE Airtricity League preview: Will the title change hands?

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Eye Cream
Best Stretch Mark Cream
Dark Circles Under Eyes Men
Skin Id
How To Remove Stretch Marks
How to Get Rid of Acne Scars Naturally
How To Get Rid Of Dandruff